9/08/2010

My top 10 movies

I compiled a list of my top 10 movies originally to send to Alison. However, I decided to post them on here for the hell of it. Half of the reason of this decision is because while here I have a lot of alone free time when I am home during the week. I have been taking this time to educate myself by watching important classical movies, reading classical books that have stood the testament of time and learning some new things about myself. But I digress. Here is the list.


So here is my list of the top 10 movies I think every human being should watch before they die. These are the movies I can watch over and over again without growing tired of them or finding myself drifiting off halfway through them.


1. Citizen Kane
- Directed by, and Starring, Orson Welles. 
- This movie is considered the greatest movie of all time by most movie  critics and professors alike. 
        - One watch and you will see why. Not much more needs to be said as this movie is legendary. 





2. Mulholland Drive
- Directed by David Lynch
- I remember watching this when I was 18 and still fresh into my first year of college. Although it clocks in at 147 minutes it always seemed much longer to me.
- This movie is so hard to understand that there are clues to "figuring it out" on the inside cover of the DVD.
- However hard to understand, this movie is simply amazing. It dives into the human mind with such ease that you are never sure what is reality and what is actually happening.


3. THX 1138
- Directed by George Lucas
- This was his first feature film way before he made Star Wars. He made it while he was in college.
- This movies shows a future that is along the lines of 1984 and Brave New World.
- This movie, along with Muholland Drive, shows us what someone with a small budget, but great idea  and passion, can do.



4. The Godfather
- Enough Said










5. Birds
- Directed by Alfred Hitchcock
- Most people have heard of this movie but it is surprising how little people have seen of it.
- Truly one of the best suspence horror movies of it's time.
- Unlike unrealistic monster movies this one portrays a very realistic enemy in such a subtle manner that it only adds to the already endofyourseat atmosphere.


6. Anti-Christ
- Directed by Lars von Trier
- If you ever wanted something that was going to scare you and give you nightmares this is it.
- Not necessarly a typical "scarry" movie but so much more. It touches on a level of horror I have never seen before.





7. Lost in Translation
- Directed by Sofia Coppola
- To me this is the perfect love story. Some will disagree with me for the sheer fact that it does not end in the traditional "girl gets the guy happy"
           way.
- However, to me, this is more of a real life love story. This is the only movie that makes me all emotional every time I watch it.





8. Akira
- Directed by Katsuhiro Otomo
- Anime
- Truly shows us what a group of animators are capable of.
- The story still draws me in every time and the English dubbing is worth watching it in English.




9. Disney Films
- All of the original hand drawn princess ones.
- I still find myself singing some of the songs to myself.
         - I think these movies were a part of everyones youth and brings us all back to simpler times. Disney truly is the master at this ruse.





10. Waking Life
- Directed by Richard Linklater
- This movie has a simple these: Dreams
- All the movie is is nice music and one kid walking around talking to different people who are talking to him about different ideas about different things
- However, this movie is perfect for almost any mood. Background noise, falling asleep, thinking, etc.

0 comments:

Post a Comment