9/02/2010

Jejudo Island (Jeju Island) Day 1

I was unsure about how to write these entries for the past two weeks due to the sheer amount of material involved. I have finally decided that some things are better not put into words and better left to the imagination of the person reading this. I will, however, give some basic information about this marvelous trip to one of the more beautiful tropical paradises I have been to in my life, 

To start off Jeju Island is a small island off of the southern coast of South Korea. The Koreans call it the "Hawaii of Korea" but even after a breathtaking time I am not sure if I would go as far as to call it that. I would go as far as to call it the "Honeymooners Island" as it is also referred to by the Koreans. On this island one can find breathtaking beaches, mountains, museums and plenty of unique food. In the middle of the island itself there is a large mountain which is actually a crater as the mountain is an inactive volcano. It exploded a while ago so much of the island's topography is uniquely filled with bedrock left over from the eruption. 

Alsion and I bought our plane tickets through KoreanAir, during peak season, for 315,000 Won for a round trip for both of us. Most of the hotels are pretty pricey ( the average price I found was 300,000 Won for 3 nights) but there are plenty of hostels if you know how to look. I finally found one for 30,000 Won a night (Hiking Inn) with our own room and restroom. We arrived at the airport and were greeted promptly by a wave of humidity unknown to me even coming to Korea from Florida. The airport is in the top Northern part of the Island so we caught a airport limosine (5,000 Won per person) and went on the hour trip to the Southern most city where our hotel lied.

After grabbing a bite to eat and taking a small nap around 2:00PM (as we had been going since 8:00AM) we went to a waterfall that was in walking distance from our hostel. I heard Jeju is famous for it's waterfalls, as they have plenty of myths surrounding the island, but didn't know what I was getting myself into. After seeing one we took a taxi and saw a few more that were in our area. 

Right next to our hostel.
The walk to the first waterfall. Notice how blue the water is.
These steps were frightening to walk on.
Just a nice shot.

The first waterfall. Cheonjiyeon Falls. 
Me
Alison
The second waterfall. I forget the name for the rest of the waterfalls we saw that day. 
The third waterfall. 
Lastly the fourth waterfall we saw that day.
No one was at the third waterfall. Made for a nice shot. 
When we were done climbing to all the waterfall you can see how miserably we needed showers. (or at least I did.)
The view from this huge stone bridge. 
Our hotel room. I didn't want to move when we got back there.
We still have three more days to go over. I will finish this up in the next few days when I don't need sleep so badly.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI&feature=related

Post a Comment